Monday, August 23, 2010

Fiesta Lime Tilapia Tacos, Zesty Corn and Rice, and Kid-Friendly Coconut Mojitos

I don't typically go for spice blends (save the curry and masala blends I love so much!), but once in awhile one ends up in my possession. My sister dropped off a bunch of spices at my place. She travels for her job, and when her lease ended she didn't bother finding a new place since she lives out of hotels almost exclusively this time of year. This is how I came to know Mrs. Dash's Fiesta Lime seasoning blend.

I took the easy route and made tacos with the blend. I'm happy to say that they turned out quite flavorful with smoky lime tones. I've included a link to the ingredient list should you prefer to come up with your own blend.

I served the tacos with an old stand-by corn and rice dish that I use fairly often. It's a great use for leftover rice (this is where most of my Chinese take-out rice ends up). The beverage came about after I spent an evening watching baseball at a local hole-in-the-wall. The bartender and I were speculating what to do with the UV Coconut that had been sitting on the shelf untouched for several weeks. We decided that a coconut vodka mojito was the way to go. The next week I brought in some mint leaves and we tested the theory out. I worked, so I decided to make a non-alcoholic version that the spawn and I could both enjoy.

Sadly, my kids were less than thrilled with the "mojito" as it is presented here. For those that prefer a sweeter version, use half coconut water and half limeade.

Fiesta Lime Tilapia Tacos

Ingredients:
1 tbs tamari
1 tbs fresh lime juice
12 oz tiliapia filets
2 tbs Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime seasoning (ingredients here)
1 tbs peanut oil
8 whole wheat tortillas, warmed
1/2 c salsa
avocado, sliced
1 stalk green onion, finely sliced
2 tbs cilantro, finely chopped
1 lime, cut into wedges

Directions:
Whisk together tamari and lime juice. Brush tilapia with the tamari blend, then season well with the Fiesta Lime seasoning. Heat peanut oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the fish and cook about 3 minutes each side, or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Remove from heat and allow to rest a few minutes. Cut fish into bite size pieces.

Divide fish among the warmed tortillas and top as desired with salsa, avocado, green onion, and/or cilantro. Finish with a squeeze of lime and serve. Serves 4 (2 tacos per person).

Zesty Corn and Rice

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon oil
2 tbs onion, finely diced
1 15oz can unsalted corn, drained
1 small can of roasted green chiles, finely diced
1 tsp lime zest
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chile powder
2 tbs red bell pepper, diced
1 teaspoon serrano chile, finely diced (optional)
2 c prepared rice
juice of half a lime
salt to taste
fresh cilantro (optional)

Directions:
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion until just turning translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Add corn and let it heat for 5 minutes. Add chilis, zest, and seasonings and cook an additional 5 minutes. Stir in bell pepper, serrano (if desired), prepared rice, and lime juice. Heat through and salt to taste. Serve with cilantro, if desired. Makes 8 servings.

Coconut Mojito (non-alcoholic)

Ingredients:
1/4 c mint leaves, tightly packed
juice of 1 lime (about 2 tbs)
1 tbs sugar
2 c coconut water
16 oz club soda
ice
additional mint leaves and lime wedges for garnish

Directions:
Muddle the mint leaves with the sugar and lime juice. Place in a pitcher and pour in the coconut water. Allow to steep in the refridgerator at least an hour.

When ready to serve, fill 4 glasses with ice and divide the minty liquid among the glasses. Top with soda water and garnish with mint leaves and lime wedge. Makes 4 16oz servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment