Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Raw January Day 15-24: Greek Broccoli and Raw Blondies

OK, OK, so I haven't been eating only broccoli and blondies for the past nine days. I had misplaced my camera, and I have an aversion to posting recipes without accompanying photos. As it turns out, my camera was simply hiding out in the box of foodstuffs I had taken over to Amber's for our night of raw fooding. I made gazpacho with tomatoes, squash, yellow bells, red onion, and some other ingredients while she tackled some absolutely delicious chocolate pudding made from banana, Irish moss, and--I'm assuming--cocoa powder. Add a couple of glasses of wine and there really was no way to not have a good time!

This past weekend, I made sure the "mostly" status of "mostly raw" was intact, as I made bison burgers for dinner. Hey, they were on-sale. Plus, I was craving some free-range protein. Don't even try to tell me that almonds are free-range!

Anyway, even though I had (cooked) bison for dinner, I made sure the accoutrement were raw. I'm going to start by bragging on Amber's raw, vegan, 5-minute blondie. Super-simple, super-tasty, and super-quick are just a few of the superlatives I can lavish on this dessert. Her recipe makes a single, normal-sized muffin cup full of goodness. I doubled it and got nine mini-muffins (probably would've been ten had the offspring and I not taste-tested it so much). Go check out Amber's site for the blondie recipe. I made a couple of easy garnishes for the blondie. On top is a simple vanilla/banana/basil ice cream, below is a blackberry coulis (recipes below).

The other side dish that I'm quite proud of is a raw Greek-inspired broccoli with macademia cheese crumbles. The broccoli is marinated in a vinaigrette with Greek spices. Bitterness from the sun-dried olives (which I've spent three weeks reconstituting in white vinegar) add a nice contrast with the acid and salt in the marinade, and the "cheese" has a flavor somewhere between Parmesan and feta that helps reinforce the vinegar. This makes for great finger-food!

Before I get to the recipes, I have to share my new purchase (photo courtesy of Amazon.com):
It's a TSM Harvest Food Dehydrator! Eeee! Ten trays, adjustable thermostat from 84º - 155ºF, and square. Yay! I can't wait to make some raw bread or crackers with nice right angles. Can you tell I'm excited?

Enough squealing for now....recipe time!

Raw Banana Vanilla Ice Cream

Ingredients:
2 ripe bananas, frozen (peel on to preserve color)
4 tbs almond milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp fresh basil, minced (optional--about 1 small leaf)

Directions:
Remove peel from banana. Combine all ingredients in a small food processor. Blend until smooth. Freeze half an hour before serving. Makes two half-cup servings. To highlight the blondies, I just added a mini scoop.

Raw Blackberry Coulis

Ingredients:
1/2 c blackberries
1/2 tbs chia seeds
2 tsp agave nectar, or to taste
1/4 c water

Directions:
Purée all ingredients. Allow to rest 30 minutes to thicken. Makes about 1/2 cup.

Raw Greek-Infused Broccoli

Ingredients:
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 c olive oil
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp coriander seeds, ground
1/2 tsp mustard seeds, ground
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
4 raw olives, pitted* and diced
dash sesame oil
1 head broccoli, cut into bite-size florets

Directions:
In a large bowl, whisk together all ingredients except the broccoli. Add broccoli and toss to coat. Let marinate for at least 1 hour at room temperature (if marinating longer than overnight, refrigerate). If desired, add additional salt and pepper and top with macadamia feta (recipe below); serve. Makes 8 half-cup servings.

Macadamia Cheese Crumbles

Ingredients:
1 c raw macadamia nuts, soaked
1 tbs lemon juice
1/2 tbs nutritional yeast
1 tbs shallot, minced
1/2 tsp sea salt

Directions:
Pulse all ingredients in a food processor until crumbly. Place in single layer on a dehydrator tray and dehydrate for about 4 hours. Makes 1.5 cups of macadamia cheese crumbles. Use as you would Parmesan cheese.

*Note: To easily pit olives (or cherries!), place on a cutting board and smash with the flat side of a knive (similar to how you'd loosen garlic peel). The pits are a cinch to remove post-smash.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you enjoyed the blondie so much! I need to try it with your blackberry coulis sometime; I love how you thickened it with chia. Oh, and I didn't realize until just now that BROCCOLI could literally make my mouth water...YUM, I want some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Apparently the kids and I are weird, because we've always liked broccoli (the offspring refuse to eat it cooked....and I do mean refuse). And hey, you have olives!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, dehydrators are terrific. I got my girlfriend one for her b-day and vegan and raw dishes have been on the rise in our house - yayyyyy! I don't think it'll be hard to convince her to make those blondies. And I know it won't be hard to convince my "staff" to review 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice present to receive! While I'm neither raw nor vegan (nor do I have any plan to become either), I enjoy food in its many forms. I'm excited to make raw bread and crackers....it doesn't physically bother me, but I'd like to cut down on the processed wheat products.

    ReplyDelete